Thursday, April 25, 2013

I'm Opinionated


Author's Note: This is what I thought of the film adaption to Hemingway's A Clean Well-lighted Place.

I didn’t imagine the scenery to be anything like it was in the video version of A Clean Well Lighted Place. I personally felt the setting was far too modern and didn’t make sense in context due to the fact it was supposed to take place during World War 2. They didn’t make much attempt to capture that in any way except the soldier that passes by the window with the lady. I also felt they should have been outside. The fact the man was deaf and inside confused me due to the fact he was supposed to “feel the difference” in the area around him because it was quiet. However, it can always be quiet inside. Outdoors at night everything just seems to calm and kind of freeze, so I thought that would’ve been better. It should’ve been more open and He should’ve been further away from the waiters as well. Maybe at a table built for two, yet he was sitting alone. The tree branches hanging above him casting a shadow casted by the moon. The waiters could’ve been under some kind of light source like hanging lights. I think it just would’ve added to the affect.

However, I liked the metaphoric use of the glass not being completely empty that we discussed in class. The man never finished his entire glass, showing that there was so little left of him. That small bit of his Brandy left still at the bottom of his glass was him. I also liked the use of music to add affect to the scene. When the man got up and left walking away I feel the way he walked back into the darkness was clever as well, showing he was leaving where he could feel happy back into his depression, followed by a single light left. The darkness consumed him too quickly though. I don’t think it should’ve been that dark straight away.

No comments:

Post a Comment